An 8-Step Guide For Outreach Strategies To Surpass Your Sales in 2023
Research done in 2015 stated that an office worker usually sends and receives almost 121 business emails in a day. Since those old times, reaching out to prospects, influencers, or potential business partners, people have effectively used emails for this process. Opting for this email outreach strategy and Sending emails to prospective clients also helps build a special connection with them for future collaborations. Depending on your business's goals, several strategies can fit your needs and requirements. So let us move ahead in this article and learn about the insights and examples of outreach strategies.
What is an Outreach Strategy?
Let us start with the basics; an outreach marketing strategy is a set of tactics or schemes intended to attract new potential users for the business. In other words, this email outreach is a marketing tool that helps you build your business or brand.
Depending upon the company's need, your strategy can contain either one or more such tactics. Therefore, below mentioned are a few categories of outreach email campaigns:
- Blogger outreach
- Customer Outreach
- Sales outreach
- Partnership outreach
👉Blogger Outreach: This type of strategy has its famous three tactics that can work for various kinds of marketing campaigns:
- Backline requests in which you improve the blog content on your website on the backend so that you can land in multiple types of research done by the customers.
- Guest posts in which you create relevant content for your website and post the same on other well-established websites so that your blogs can reach a larger audience.
- Media outreach in which you can publicize your products or services via social media platforms.
👉Customer Outreach: This type of strategy is typically for your existing customers; this tactic says that you use your emails to:
- Upsell more products to them
- Prevent them from returning to other brands
- Earn their trust and encourage them to become your brand ambassador
👉Sales Outreach: This type of strategy has two effective sales tactics:
- Cold outreach in which the emails are sent to multiple recipients with whom you have yet to have any prior contact or conversation.
- Warm outreach in which the emails are targeted at a single person with whom they have already contacted.
👉Partnership outreach: This strategy involves one primary tactic you should send influential emails to your partners so that they stay with your business because the competition is too high in the market.
Why Do You Need an Outreach Strategy?
As we all know, there are millions of websites on the Internet right now, so you need to stand out to get noticed by visitors. No matter the size of your business or the products or services of your business, email outreach techniques play an essential role in the business's success. These strategies, which are used effectively, can significantly impact your business's revenue generation.
On average, we receive almost 100 emails as promotional emails by marketers or various brands, but the critical technique is to get that email read. Using the right strategies leads your relevant content to new subscribers and gives your more opportunities to convert those into regular customers.
Appropriately planning your email outreach can give you the following benefits:
- More traffic toward your business
- Social proof that you are growing
- Increase in the sales of your business
- Improves the reputation of the brand
- Increased authority of loyal customers and
- A wider audience
Steps to Make Your Outreach Strategy a Success
Below are the steps that can help your strategies work effectively and lets you connect with your potential users, keep them engaged with your contact, and in the end, skyrocket the sales of your business.
- Pick the Right Communication Channel.
The first and foremost step to a successful outreach campaign is finding the right place to spread your email. This means that you should know your targeted audience well and use a suitable way or medium to reach out to them. Knowing the correct communication channel for your marketing campaign helps you get desired results. One B2B sales survey says that sending emails is one of the top sources of communication with clients.
- The Power of Social Media
We have seen the growth of social media in the last few years; it has been tremendous. Social media has become one of the most indispensable outreach channels for marketing campaigns. Keeping your social outreach strategy well-planned allows you to learn more about your potential customers and lets you connect with them. From the social media platforms of your target population, you can quickly get to know a lot more about them. The most important benefit of staying spread over social media is that the more the clients see you there, the more they will trust you and your business. Below are the three main things you should keep in mind while executing this technique:
- Stay consistent about your posts on social media.
- Keep on interacting with your followers and respond to every question of theirs.
- Always post valuable and interactive content topics on social media.
- Create catchy email subject lines.
It is proven by research that almost 70% of emails are marked as spam just because of their subject lines. On the other hand, it is also said that 33% of recipients open up their marketing emails because of your compelling subject lines. So creating catchy subject lines is a crucial outreach strategy. The subject line of your email should be eye-catching, direct, and specifically related to the pitch of your email. The subject lines highly converting are those which:
- Communicate socially with the clients
- Contains teasers
- Stimulates curiosity
- Creates a sense of urgency and
- Offers discounts or free stuff.
Below are some tips you can follow to create engaging email subject lines:
- Try to personalize the subject lines
- Keep it short and crisp
- Polish the opening lines
- Add numbers in the subject line.
- The Magic of Personalized Notes
The surveys in 2020 showed that these days 78% of marketers have started using personalization or mentioning handwritten notes in their email outreach techniques. When you relate personally to your clients, that increases the chances of them getting converted into your regular customers.
Adding handwritten or personalized notes in the email makes the client believe you are aware of them and their interests. Specifically, to gain the customer's trust, you can send them notes on their birthdays or any other social day, which proves to be the most beautiful gesture.
- Ensure to add the call-to-action (CTA)
It is rightly said that "a good CTA is going to take your business somewhere, but a great CTA is going to take you everywhere." So make sure your CTA is always great. A CTA makes it straightforward for the client to understand what action is required from their end.
With the help of CTA's in your email, you can convince the clients to buy your products or services. A plus point in the outreach strategy is that adding more than one CTA can be more consequential. To enhance your outreach, you can also refer to SmartLead, which has some proven techniques for adding CTAs in these emails.
- Segment Your Target Audience
If you segment your targeted audience, it helps in outreaching them more precisely as per their areas or interests. With the help of the segmentation, you can also personalize your outreach techniques based on various parameters like:
- Geographical data: This segmentation is beneficial for international outreach email campaigns. With the help of this, you can reach out to your international customers as per their time zones and countries.
- Demographic data: This segmentation helps you separate customers based on gender, age, household income, education, and location.
- The behavior-based segmentation: This segmentation helps you separate the customer based on their past purchasing history and likes or dislikes.
- The spending-based segmentation: This segmentation helps you separate the customers based on how they spend on your business websites, whether they choose offers or discounts.
- Follow up With Your Clients
This is a mandated rule of outreach strategies. Whether or not you hear back from your clients, you must follow up with them.
This follow-up should be done within a few days of the first outreach email. The client must have been busy or forgotten to read your email, so this follow-up technique reminds them about your care and concern for them. Ensure the follow-up emails are polite, engaging, and encouraging.
- Personalize your emails
Personalization is the most helpful technique of the outreach strategies, which is proven by the below sales statistics:
- 36% of the customers want the companies to share personal experiences
- 91% of the customers prefer working with those companies who provide discounts or offers which are directly relevant to them
- 72% of the customers only respond to marketing emails that are directly addressed to them
- When companies use personalized email outreach techniques to engage customers, it increases 20% of their sales
- Including personalized or handwritten notes or videos in your email increases the click-through rates by 20%
There are four ways to personalize these emails:
- By adding handwritten texts or notes for the clients
- Adding images or GIFs to your piece of content
- Adding videos
- Using Emojis in your email content
How to Create an Effective Outreach Strategy?
To understand how you can create an effective outreach marketing strategy, you need to perform the following actions:
- Define Your Target Audience
The first step towards effective communication is to know who you are talking to. So to start building up the outreach strategy, you must first identify and understand the target audience's characteristics.
- Collect the Target Sites
Once you know who to target, you need to find the correct platforms to target or contact those clients. This is the most demanding step as it requires a lot of research. For example, if you have a business selling baby products to your customers, you must find blogs and websites related to babies, maternity, and parenting.
- Write Engaging and Compelling Emails
Once you have the list of people, the next important step is to reach out to them. Adding a compelling and engaging email body is beneficial as it increases the click-through rates by 41%. In your email, ensure the subject line is short and sweet, and the body of the email should showcase that you are familiar with the likes and dislikes of the audience.
- Follow-up with the clients with a fresh approach
Follow-up email messages are essential to the outreach strategy because they make customers feel you care for them. You should send at least two follow-up emails and not more than that and keep track of those conversations. The most crucial thing about follow-up messages is that the subject line should be different every time.
- Track the Results of Your Outreach
Managing these strategies requires a lot of data. You have to track when you contacted them, when they opened it, and was any conversation or not. So it is a crucial part of a good marketing campaign.
- Build Long-Lasting Relationships With Clients
This might sound paradoxical, but building strong relationships is required for marketing outreach. When you contact real people in real life, that leaves a positive impression on them, and they become regular customers of your business.
After going through the abovementioned outreach strategies, steps, and examples, it is overwhelming to believe these help improve the conversion rate of potential users. It is said that a personalized outreach strategy is a holy grail, and achieving it can be complicated but possible.
You can outline your marketing goals and select an effective strategy to get started. Effective outreach strategies that specifically address the customers' needs end in more converted potential users because they tend to resonate and respond more to such interesting outreach emails.
Tanmay is a SEO Content Writer at Smartlead. His zeal and enthusiasm in writing led him to the path of being a Content Writer. He has been advancing in this field by possessing more knowledge and skills. His constant endeavor has made him a whiz in SEO, Creative Writing, and driving sales through writing.